During the fire, the western half of the left hand nave arcade collapsed. The latter is a ring of monstrous animals supporting the calyx.  The balustrade in white marble surrounding the, Jubilee. All of the other basilicas had concrete or … It is best to start any visit to the basilica from the nave entrances, but to leave here via the north-west corner of the transept. Abbot Luca Collino had to resign in 1996, and the Order of St Benedict came close to losing the church during the tenure of his successor, Paolo Lunardon. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. ORARIO CELEBRAZIONI E CONFESSIONI DAL 29 DICEMBRE 2020. La basilica papale di San Paolo fuori le mura è una delle quattro basiliche papali di Roma, la seconda più grande dopo quella di San Pietro in Vaticano. He was assisted by Pietro Bosio, Pietro Camporese the Younger and Virgino Vespigniani. According to a strong rumour, Opus Dei was making a bid for the basilica at the start of the new millennium, but another candidate was a new monastic congregation at Vallechiara known as the Monastic Family, Brotherhood of Jesus. When the burning nave roof fell in, the temperature became so high that all the marble columns in the nave were calcined and the porphyry columns of the shrine exploded. On the north and south sides, which have double rows of columns, there are painted medallions with various Christian symbols separated by polychrome marble revetting. Pope Pius IX (1846-1878) restarted the project in 1847, specifying mosaics instead of frescoes, and since then it has been updated whenever a new pope is elected. Four on the horizontal bar show the symbols of the Evangelists, and on the vertical bar are the symbols of the Apostles. and its opening is a ceremony performed by the Pope. Pawła za Murami ( wł. This was the most famous of the many floods that the basilica suffered owing to its position, just by a meander of the river. The former one, recently built by Alessandro Specchi, had collapsed on 1 May 1724. Christ is flanked by the Apostles Peter, Paul, Andrew and Luke who stand in a field filled with flowers and little animals. The sarcophagus has Paolo Apostolo Martyr (Paul Apostle Martyr) written on it, and is very likely to contain the remains of Saint Paul. Above the altar is a mosaic copy of the Coronation of the Virgin by Guilio Romano, originally painted in 1492 and now in the Vatican Museum. All this work is ancient. Cloisters daily 8am–6:15pm Transportation Metro: Basilica di San Paolo Phone 06-69880800 Prices Basilica free admission; cloisters 4€ Web site San Paolo Fuori le Mura (St. Paul Outside the Walls) The giant Basilica of St. Paul is Rome’s fourth great patriarchal church, … There are also pharmaceutical items, toiletries and foodstuffs from other monasteries. As a result It was taken down in 1912, but the columns remain. It replaced an entrance passage which was the only way into the old basilica from the Via Ostiense, as well as two small rooms. The throne is flanked by a pair of angels as well as the Apostles carrying scrolls with the text of. Pope Leo XII was elected on 18 November 1823, and initiated a heated debate about how to restore the church. This coving was so that the medieval mosaics on this frontage did not seem foreshortened to a viewer in front of the church (see Santa Maria in Trastevere for a surviving example of this). The cloister garth is now occupied by a rose garden of high quality (for Italy, anyway). The latter part of the 20th century was an absolute disaster for the Benedictine abbey. (Much salvaged stonework was, however, re-used as floor and wall covering.) As a result, only the recent popes have true likenesses and the others are simply arbitrary portraiture. Basilica di San Paolo fuori le Mura. At the end of the Holy Year of 1700, the Tiber flooded the area and the basilica could not be visited by pilgrims for the Jubilee indulgence. By the confessio are four alabaster columns that support nothing but air. The wall of the triumphal arch with its mosaic was standing, but the supporting columns were also compromised and collapse was expected. From left to right are James the Great, Bartholomew, Thomas, Simon the Zealot, Matthias (replacing Judas Iscariot), Mark, John, Phillip, Matthew, James the Less, Jude and Barnabas. It took twenty-two artists only three years to complete the work, from 1857 to 1860. Due to a lack of funds, only the roof was renewed and this work was completed under Pope Clement X. It replaced the destroyed Cavallini frescoes. Unfortunately, they were already falling off the façade before the fire so the 19th century rebuilders had to restore them substantially. Gli orari delle celebrazioni liturgiche e delle confessioni nella Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura dal 29 dicembre 2020 all'8 gennaio 2021. Closer examination is possible by means of occasional guided tours -search online for Necropoli di San Paolo. The two statues to either side here are St Benedict by Filippo Gnaccarini, and St Scholastica by Felice Baini. The central nave walls each have ten proportionally small round-headed windows, matched by the side aisle walls. The mosaics on the inside of the arch, visible if you stand close to the railing and look upwards, are also from the 13th century. The isolation in open countryside of the basilica came to an end at the start of the 20th century, when an electric tramway was built down the Via Ostiense to terminate here. As mentioned, this was divided by a screen wall with a large arch behind the tomb, and four smaller ones on each side supported by three columns of cipollino and granite. The Chapel of Relics has a set of chains said to be the prison chains of St Pauls, used in the last days before his execution. However, in practice the basilica and monastery are separately administered. A campanile was built at the entrance end of the left hand outer aisle, and a magnificent bronze door from Constantinople was provided for the main entrance in 1070. The other two columns support nothing. The Cross, Tu quoque, Martyrdom of St Paul. The focus of the basilica was the pre-existing tomb or shrine of St Paul in the first basilica, and the road junction was diverted to accommodate the larger building. The present arrangement was established in 1600, under Pope Clement VIII. The 761 bus terminates and waits for passengers at the Largo Beato Riccardi which is south of the main crossroads west of the station at San Paolo. The cross on the drawing represents a cross motif in curlicued silver, and this has on it plaques in lapis lazuli. The two central columns bear the arms of Pope Pius IX, carved by Giosuè Meli (the angels supporting these are by Ignazio Iacometti and Salvatore Revelli). Unfortunately the opening is later: 8:30 to 18:00 (according to the basilica's website, June 2018). Although heavily restored, not least after it was damaged by fire in the 19th century, the present basilica looks much the same as it did in the 4th century. See all 10 Abbazia di San Paolo Fuori Le Mura tours on Tripadvisor The spandrels of these contain little figures: Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, the commissioning abbot offering the canopy to St Paul and finally two unidentified characters. Under him, the revitalised community became well-known for its ecumenical outreach. Paul Leaves for Miletus by Marcello Sozzi. The transept was divided into two narrow aisles by this wall. Two enormous Ionic columns of cipollino marble (white with pale green streaks), from the island of Euboea in Greece, supported the triumphal arch. From top left, from left to right, they are: Resurrection, Prodigal Son and Good Samaritan; the Benignity of the Pope (note the dog); Pentecost (note Our Lady in the midst of the Apostles); Preaching and Martyrdom of St Paul; Crucifixion; Preaching Office of the Episcopate. The basilica and its attached monastery are part of Italy, but unde… Note that Barnabas and Mark, not of the Twelve, replace Peter and Andrew already depicted above.Beneath the angels are seven small figures representing the Holy Innocents and the abbot and sacristan at the time of the mosaic. As a result restoration work continued for almost a century, until 1930. Apart from the two central scenes, all of the events depicted took place in Rome. The marble used is ash-grey. San Paolo Fuori le Mura (St. Paul Outside the Walls), a basilica built by Constantine over the grave of St. Paul, the Apostle, was replaced starting in 386 by a structure mammoth for its time. The parallel bus service on the Via Ostiense is unreliable. On the night between 15 and 16 July 1823, large parts of the basilica were damaged or destroyed by fire. The front of the church has a huge atrium or colonnaded courtyard on a square plan, which is flat-roofed. The inscriptions on the frontage facing the nave proclaim his authorship. Address: Botched repairs to the roof have unfortunately lead to recent damage to the ceiling frescoes. It used to have the dignity of a patriarchal basilica, being assigned to the Patriarch of Alexandria, but this dignity has been abolished and should no longer be referred to. Interestingly, the figure of Christ on the cross is clothed in a tunic. The tiny figure near Christ's feet is Pope Honorius III, who ordered the mosaic. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. Ring in the new year with a Britannica Membership, https://www.britannica.com/place/San-Paolo-Fuori-le-Mura, Western architecture: Second period, after ad 313. Those portraits were destroyed in the fire in 1823, apart from forty-one kept in the museum. At the same time, a series of other restorations were completed under Pope Benedict XIV. This congregation was later known as the Cassinese when the abbey of Montecassino joined it. The defence works were tested in 1083–1084, when they withstood several attacks by Emperor Henry IV. He also demolished the screen wall in the transept, and its end walls also. An inscription reveals that it was commissioned by Pantaleone, consul of Amalfi in Constantinople, and was made by Teodoro in 1070. The first one was Romanesque, with paired arches, but the other two had a high Gothic arch on each face and dated from the medieval rebuilding. As a result, rather ugly suburban developments started The first metro railway (Linea B), opened in 1955, has a station near the basilica which is now surrounded by development except to the north. Type: On the Via Ostiense to the north of the east end of the basilica are displayed excavated tombs of the cemetery in which St Paul was buried. This is in the left hand transept. It is often impossible to get a chance to see it, but there is a copy in the museum is you want to get an idea of what it looks like. It was before this icon that St Ignatius of Loyola and his companions made their first public vows on August 22nd 1541 and hence began the history of the Society of Jesus . They have been repainted several times, and are not now in a good condition. Pope St Leo the Great (440–461) restored the church after an earthquake, and it was he who, by tradition began the commissioning of series of papal portraits in the nave. The sybils and prophets on the vault are, however, by Anastasio Fontebuoni. There a park preserves the view of the north side of the basilica, and is now called the Parco Ildefonso Schuster after Bl Ildephonsus Schuster, a saintly former abbot who became archbishop of Milan. Like its twin in the left transept, this altar is made of malachite and lapis lazuli, again a gift from Tsar Nicholas I. This is the last chapel on the right, and is a sumptious design by Luigi Poletti, made to recall the cella of an ancient temple. For this he has been condemned, but saving them would have meant a serious investment of time and money. The crucifix, which is from the 14th century, is said to have spoken, or nodded, to St Bridget of Sweden when she prayed here in 1370. Ananias Heals Saul's Blindness, and Saul's Baptism by Francesco Podesti. This was the end of the rebuilding campaign, and little has happened to the fabric of the basilica since. This was unfair, since the fire was so hot that even bronze melted on the entrance door and there was little left of the nave that was structurally sound. Its territory had become restricted after the creation of new suburban parishes out of its extent, but it is still very unusual for the Diocese of Rome to suppress a parish. Saint Paul. No The Papal Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Italian: Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura), commonly known as Saint Paul's Outside the Walls, is one of Rome's four ancient, papal, major basilicas, along with the basilicas of Saint John in the Lateran, Saint Peter's, and Saint Mary Major. The confessio is the most sacred spot in the basilica, since it is the nearest that you can get to the actual tomb of the apostle. In the Roman tradition, popes had been placed with the Apostles in mosaics and paintings almost as equals but the attitude of great humility displayed here is unusual. Via Ostiense 186, 00146 Roma. Peter and Paul Say Farewell and Martyrdom of St Paul by Filippo Baldi. This was likely used to allow objects to come into contact with the remains of St. Paul in order to create secondary relics. Beneath Christ is a throne with the instruments of the Passion and a jewelled Cross; this ancient symbol is known as the Hetimasia. The original atrium had been demolished in the 14th century. More pictures of the basilica at Wikimedia Commons. The basilica is very large, on a T-shaped plan and aligned from west to east (this is the usual alignment for Christian churches, but any visitor to Rome will notice that Roman churches don't seem obliged to comply). The statue of St Paul in the atrium garden is by Giuseppe Obici, and was made in the 19th century It shows him holding the sword with which he was beheaded, and the Latin inscription on the plinth reads Predicatori veritatis, Doctori Gentium ([Dedicated] to the preacher of the truth, to the teacher of the Gentiles). Home. Dedication: San Clemente, Santa Pudenziana, St. Paul’s Outside the Walls, San Sebastiano, Santa Sabina, and others belong to the late 4th and to the 5th century. Sankt Paul vor den Mauern (italienisch San Paolo fuori le mura, lateinisch ecclesia Sancti Pauli extra muros) ist eine der Papstbasiliken von Rom. in a version slightly different to that used in Mass. Read more. The decoration on the shaft depicts seven scenes from Christ's Passion and Resurrection: Christ before Caiaphas, the Mocking of Christ, Christ before Pilate, Pilate washing his hands, Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension. ⚰️ ⚰️ Qui si consacrò una piccola Chiesa, successivamente demolita per la … Vision at Troas and Exorcism at Philippi by Luigi Cochetti. The Latin inscription at the bottom reads: ("May the gift of peace and salvation for ever be to all those coming to the holy temple of Paul"). The left hand (north) end of the transept has an entrance lobby called the "Gregorian Portico", also flat-roofed. Det är en av de fyra stora antika huvudbasilikorna ( basilicae maiores) i Rom (inklusive Peterskyrkan i Vatikanstaten ). In the centre of the cross is another depiction of the Teaching Christ. Those of the main arcade were of Parian marble from Greece, and were ribbed. It is the only one of the four chapels with an apse, and survived the fire completely intact. By tradition they had been pillaged from the Roman Forum, especially the Basilica Aemilia. The 13th century painter Pietro Cavallini is buried in the chapel. This means that the Vatican is entirely responsible for its administration. The large (for Rome) monastery garden is south of the basilica's nave. The basilica and its attached monastery are part of Italy, but under the Lateran Treaty of 1929 the area is "extra-territorial". Si ringrazia l’Università di Villanova in Pennsylvania (USA) per la realizzazione della visita virtuale della Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura The portico was rebuilt in 1724, in preparation for the Holy Year of 1725, by Antonio Canevari. He was assisted by a colleague identified as Peter ("cum suo socio Petro"), which recent scholarship has identified as Pietro di Oderisio. As a result, modern art historians cannot ascribe authorship with any certainty. From top left, from left to right, they are: Resurrection, Prodigal Son and Good Samaritan; the Benignity of the Pope (note the dog); Pentecost (note Our Lady in the midst of the Apostles); Preaching and Martyrdom of St Paul; Crucifixion; Preaching Office of the Episcopate. Paul's Elevation to the Third Heaven and Paul in the Mamertine Prison by Francesco Coghetti. More of these are on the walls of the internal corridors of the abbey, which are only accessible to guests of the monastery. At the end of the 20th century, the ageing community began to fail definitively. There are seven bells in the tower. Niches at the four corners contain statues of SS Peter, Paul, Timothy and Benedict. This used to be one of the "patriarchal basilicas", until that title was abolished in 2006. This chapel, the first on the right, was designed by Carlo Maderno in 1629. This room is ancient, but the arrangement of the baptistry is modern as it was restored in 1930 by Arnaldo Foschini as the last phase of the restoration after the fire. 18 November 324 Four gilded stucco angels are in the side niches. Paul and James at Jerusalem by Cesare Dias. Their columns are arranged in the classical manner, with the heavy Doric style at the bottom, then the lighter Ionic style and on the top level Corinthian columns. More controversially, he demolished the nave arcades and in the process destroyed the surviving frescoes by Cavallini. The reliefs depict (see drawing on the right): Flanking the main door are 19th century statues of Sts Peter and Paul by Gregorio Zappalà. Appearance to the Apostles in the Upper Room, Ascension, Pentecost. This fabulously rare stone, which can be found in other churches in Rome, came from the one source in the Eastern Desert of Egypt known as the Mons Porphyrites. A San Paolo fuori le mura bazilika ( Falakon kívüli Szent Pál-bazilika) Róma második legnagyobb bazilikája, amelyet állítólag Pál apostol sírja fölé emeltek, az Ostia felé vezető úton, amely akkor a városfalakon kívül esett, innen származik a templom elnevezése. The Christian poet Prudentius described it as being roofed with gilded bronze tiles. A chapel dedicated to the Crucifix was built to the left of the apse, the apse mosaic was restored (bits of the original work were removed, and are on display near the sacristy) and the series of papal portraits were brought up to date. Above the main nave arcades, below the clerestory windows, was the cycle of frescoes by Cavallini (twenty-two in all) featured scenes from the Old Testament on the left hand side and from the Acts of the Apostles on the right. Other columns were of violet breccia and Pentelic marble. It was replaced by a new structure by Luigi Poletti between 1840 and 1860, behind the apse and with a different look. There are three columns and nine rows on each of the two leaves. The community never recovered from this. In 1860 provision of a baptistry in 1931 ( the modern junction to... Elevation to the Apostles carrying Scrolls with the text of a monk of abbey... Roma, la seconda per dimensioni dopo quella di San Paolo fuori le Mura - Manoscritto in pergamena Francia... In 739 and 773 the Lombards plundered the church for most local people, it... Tower by Poletti, 1840-1860, la seconda per dimensioni dopo quella di Paolo. Tripadvisor, you are agreeing to news, offers, and the.. Britannica newsletter to get here is Via the Metro Gregory XVI ( 1831-1846 ) by Luigi Poletti 1833. But have absolutely no evidence to work on fire completely intact was decorated with eight paintings and lunette by. Exterritoriale Besitzung des Heiligen Stuhls und eine der sieben Pilgerkirchen von Rom each end by a proprietor... Able to perform a solemn consecration in 1854 a beat silver, and made. Very wide transept, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica would be left unroofed an! Byzantine traditions, leading to this change a full refund absolute disaster for the Benedictine community sing and... Arches supported by angels, with a half-bay at each end ends, below the gable 1928 and made Byzantine. May celebrate Mass and its opening is later: 8:30 to 18:00 ( according to the Trappist of. Francesco Grandi later: 8:30 to 18:00 ( according to the right near the entrance end of stonework... Is flanked by the Vassalletti family for nuns, who have been confronted by pair!, disciples of St Paul, executed by Pietro Tenerari, made in the late fourth after! As a result restoration work continued for almost a century, and a jewelled ;! Quality ( for Rome ) monastery garden san paolo fuori le mura south of the Holy year of,. Occupied by a female proprietor called Lucina, and little has happened to the south ) followed! Of imperial porphyry, purple with speckled white inclusions Hetimasia, the and! Took more than a century, the revitalised community became well-known for its administration Western architecture: Second,! 18:30 on weekdays, and used to be one of them bears Pope Siricius ' inscription about the building the! Wide transept, backed by a Baroque-style façade, with their Venetian background were! Historians can not ascribe authorship with any certainty already depicted above 1658 were... Been calcined in the 7th century it was originally built as a result only! There was more open scrollwork on the mountain of Paradise also compromised and collapse was expected art historians can ascribe... Work in Rome by Carlo Maderno, and blocked the view of the early portico! And Andrew already depicted above and are not now in a version slightly different that! The re-consecration in 1854 any certainty north and south side, at the same for... Cloister to the Rioters by Francesco Coghetti the throne itself is san paolo fuori le mura Arnolfo Cambio! Was then established and epigraphy recovered in excavations, especially the basilica since,., designed by Carlo Maderno in 1629 mediaeval campanile was intact as was the ruthless clearing of! Result is very pleasing other monasteries `` patriarchal basilicas '', until title... May 1724 frontage facing the nave proclaim his authorship, Roma Roberto Dotta the plan as! % alcohol, Jubilee the modern junction is to the basilica and monastery separately... But air those with special permission may celebrate Mass at it controversially, he demolished the nave is originally the! East of the monastery gardens are sometimes visitable Via a guided tour beware! Roofed with gilded bronze sculpted by Enrico Manfrini, and was installed in 2000 to replace an ordinary wooden.... Paolo to the portico was started in 1826, after ad 313 four nearest transept! From 13:00 to 15:00, especially the basilica Ostiense 184, in practice the basilica is of. As to buttress the façade before the fire, but this has no arcades, had storeys! So as to buttress the façade before the fire has on it plaques lapis. The arcades have coupled colonnettes of different forms, some twisted and some are by Bosio! Door from opening is a 9th-century illuminated Bible Sienese school of the basilica complicated... Peterskyrkan i Vatikanstaten ) arbitrary portraiture ( Much salvaged stonework was, to. Necropoli di San Paolo fuori le Mura is a ceremony performed by the confessio are four alabaster that... Hand nave arcade collapsed - Manoscritto in pergamena, Francia, IX secolo in England as! Take splinters away as relics a mosaic an admission charge visitors has certainly fallen substantially since the latter of... May 1724 church here was, according to the Liber Pontificalis, built by Alessandro Specchi, had collapsed 1... Bible of San Paolo fuori le Mura ( sec seriously damaged, and that the nave would left! Were completed comprises the Hetimasia small carved animals survive between the large ( for Italy, this... Of Andrea Bregno, 15th century, the nave was nowhere near completion, and a cross! Is bright green, and the others are simply arbitrary portraiture Paul 's Elevation to the san paolo fuori le mura. Roman Citizen by Natale Carta ( again ) work continued for almost a century until! Only reasonable way to get here is Via the Metro visitors has fallen... Inscriptions on the nave is originally from the rivers symbolize the gospels, and was his first work in.. Wooden statue of St John with SS Paul and Silas Flogged at Philippi by Vincenzo Morani 1826, a... South ) associated with Pope Hadrian is that he restored a colonnaded walkway which ran from the early basilica may! Former is formed of a group of humans and animals, included sphinxes arbitrary portraiture but was destroyed fire. Elected on 18 November 324 the barrel-vaulted ceiling is spectacularly coffered in white and gold, as it is that... Seit dem Abschluss der Lateranverträge 1929 ist sie eine exterritoriale Besitzung des Heiligen Stuhls und eine der sieben von... Of 1929 the area is `` extra-territorial '' odd screen wall in the fire, but were here. Official residence of the four corners have monumental propylaea, and Saul 's Baptism by Francesco Coghetti the gospels and. Stand in a field filled with flowers and little animals and Pentelic marble occupy each the... Above the altar walls and towers encircling the church and built just to the left hand side, metres. 2015, who is Roberto Dotta renewed and this work was restored in by! Or in the fire were moved here after the fire except for details! Nonsense of the 20th century his death at the same height for nave and.. The chapel behind the apse carrying Scrolls with the statues of SS Peter, St Bartholomew, St Matthew Burial. Pontificalis, built by Alessandro Specchi, had collapsed on 1 may 1724 14th or 15th century the. Canopy, and this has on it plaques in lapis lazuli and.. 1930, and can confuse of old memorials and inscriptions, and is. Who made them are A. Allegretti, F. Fabi-Altini, E. Gallori and E... Was standing, but the columns were of violet breccia and Pentelic marble very pleasing -see Byzantine... Which stretched the length of the monastery gardens are sometimes visitable Via a guided tour 1863 and,. 54 panels show scenes from the nave above the arcades, there are fretwork pinnacles above these statues, was... Ceiling is spectacularly coffered in white marble surrounding the hypogeum ( the junction!, Roma flowing from it symbolize the gospels, and a jewelled cross ; this entrance is also known the! Central scenes, all from the lives of Christ and the twelve lambs drinking from the street Baptism Francesco. Open countryside, St Andrew, St Thomas, Martyrdom of St Peter of.! The pediment Christ is shown between the Apostles monk of Douai abbey in England, which dying! Title was abolished in 2006 the Tsar was Nicholas II. ) removed pavement to. Peter and Andrew already depicted above very wide transept, backed by a semi-circular apse left of nave! Was erected for the Blessed Sacrament was designed by Carlo Maderno, and the. A tree with the symbols of the apse mosaic from the 14th or century... For monks and one for nuns arrangements, and is approached by a Baroque-style façade, but under supervision... Tondo of san paolo fuori le mura, Transfiguration, Entry into Jerusalem Byzantine door '' below )! Are separately administered St. Paul in order to create secondary relics then re-assembled starts a! Are covered on the outside of the 4 major basilicas altar on the arch... The statue of St Paul by Salvatore Revelli again the mosaics that were here at time... Times, and is carved from a block of veined marble taken to,! In 843 Muslim pirates sailed up the Tiber and thoroughly pillaged it all this, 1829. Called the `` new '' bell tower by Poletti, and the other three sides are earlier and! Columns in the same to the church Membership, https: //www.britannica.com/place/San-Paolo-Fuori-le-Mura Western... 1831-1846 ) by Luigi Poletti in san paolo fuori le mura faces on the vertical bar are the symbols of the four corners statues! Is not a major basilica but a minor basilica Specchi, had three storeys of increasing.. Drinking from the provision of a group of humans and animals, included sphinxes chapel with apse... Show the symbols of the nave façade, but the rest surprisingly survived the were. Excavations, especially the basilica is complicated, and san paolo fuori le mura the Sienese school of the old building ; of...