They are very hardy and like neglect, so just don't over water. It can survive low light levels, drought, and generally being ignored. Make sure your pruners are clean & sharp to avoid a jagged cut &/or infection. Most indoor Sansevieria plants have the potential to flower indoors, ... Brown … The browning of leaves is usually a result of stress. Plant each half in its own pot with some succulent soil. A former cake decorator and competitive horticulturist, Amelia Allonsy is most at home in the kitchen or with her hands in the dirt. And the plant stress can be caused by many different factors. Like we mentioned earlier, division is the best way to ensure that your new plant will have the same variegation as your main plant. After the root rot becomes severe and the roots cannot absorb moisture or nutrients anymore, then the brown tips can appear. If you suspect overwatering, immediately check the roots and soil condition. If you want to move it from a deep shaded place, gradually expose it to light over the period of a few weeks. Leaves will turn mushy, droopy, yellow or yellowish-brown in color. If you are noticing dry, brown tips on your Sansevieria, it is most likely caused by infrequent or sporadic watering. When the roots get burned by powerful chemicals, it impacts the foliage as well. Put the cuttings right-side-up in fresh soil mix and keep the pot in an area that gets bright, indirect light. Take the plant out of the container, then cut through the soil ball and roots to create two or more new plants. A physical damage can also make the snake plant leaves develop brown patches. You don't want a huge pot, they like to be "root bound" and actually grow better when less room in pot. You should start the treatment as soon as possible after you identify the pest attacking your snake plant. Both these bugs are sap sucking insects which damage the leaves by making small wounds on them. For more details on fertilizers, you may find this helpful. Move the snake plants a few feet away from the heater to prevent any heat damage. Take your sterilized tool and cut the leaf as close to the soil as possible. It’s always good to routinely check your plants to see if they need water or not. Putting the plant above a heater or radiator is not a good idea. Brown edges and tips can also mean your snake plant is suddenly subjected to excessive sunlight. You may want to take a look at the potting mix. Cut away any leaves that are brown or yellow. I am struggling on finding answers and was hoping that you will have answer for me. Maintain a good watering regimen to avoid any fungal problems. … Once the leaves develop brown spots or brown tips, there’s nothing you can do. It shouldn’t be difficult to protect indoor plants from low temperatures. To save the snake plant, stop feeding it for a few months. Cut straight across the leaf as close to the soil as possible. Although cutting them off will neither benefit nor harm your plant, you can cut them off if you find them too unsightly. Best practice is to let the rhizome callous over for a few days before planting it. Snake plant is extremely tolerant of neglect and a wide range of conditions, making it well-suited for beginning gardeners. Be careful to cut to the edge, leaving perhaps a little brown sliver, so that the plant doesn't have a new injury to heal. You can do this and then put inside without any further steps. Avoid feeding your snake plants in winter when they’re in resting state. You can always cut the mushy parts off of the leaves & propagate the non impacted portions. If all leaves are mushy at their bottoms, they are as good as gone. Extreme sun exposure results in the drying up of plant tissue. A ragged leaf edge can increase the risk of disease entering the cut leaf stump. Still no roots, and I noticed from the cut area it’s turning brown. I ended up with 5 plants from the one and they all are filling in wonderfully. This can turn the leaves yellow and develop brown spots. Even when you take good care of your plant, the leaf damage will not revert back. If you are noticing dry, brown tips on your Snake Plant, it is most likely caused by infrequent or sporadic watering. If the damage is minimal, you may snip off the brown part of the … When you forget to water for a long time, the plant can get extremely dehydrated. The drooping leaves sound like they may have been damaged by cold. It will quickly dry out the soil and damage the leaves. Cut the terminal point of the outer leaves if you fear you might brush against the leaves while digging up the plant. Don’t fertilize young plants, sick plants or right after they are repotted. To propagate a snake plant by rhizome, use a clean, sharp knife to cut the rhizome off of the main plant. Although the brown tips of the plant cannot be revived, they will be less noticeable as your plant gets healthier. If your thumb is everything but green, growing a snake plant (Sansevieria spp.) They will even reward your neglect by helping to clean the air in your home. The tips of the leaves sometimes turn brown and entire leaves sometimes die, particularly around the outer perimeter of the plant. Snake plant leaves can be quite tough, so it may take a little effort to cut through each. After about 3 … Why does a snake plant get brown tips or patches on the leaves? Once they get enough water, the leaves will start looking healthier. Snake plants can definitely be grown in direct sunlight when they are acclimatized to it. Yes you can. You can remove the affected parts if you think it’s an aesthetic issue. It may sound surprising but overwatering can also result in turning the snake plant brown. Snake plants have developed the ability to survive on nutrient deficient soil. Your email address will not be published. This can often cause brown leaf tips, or brown edges on the leaves. When an underwatered plant is suddenly subjected to excess water, it can also provoke some leaf browning. They can cope with some imperfect growing conditions very well, which makes them an excellent choice for forgetful gardeners. So, their nutrient requirements are low. Read more on properly watering the snake plants. But if you keep your snake plants in a balcony or outside, just bring them in during winters. In winter and fall seasons, you can water it once a month or even less frequently. I … Personally, since you just transplanted the plant, I'd give it a few days to establish, before doing anything. Let’s start with this cylindrical snake plant (Sansevieria bacularis ‘Mikado’). Increased stress caused by some extreme changes in the environment can turn the snake plant brown. Either increase watering or replant the plant so that the roots have more room to … Sometimes the edges of the leaves become wavy and they fold over. You can root healthy portions of the cut leaf to create new snake plants. While Aloe Vera plants are fast-growing succulents, in comparison to other plants, like herbs, they’re actually slower growing (you can find more info about their growth rate in my post about growing Aloe faster).. What is your favorite house plant? If your plant has developed any kind of brown spots, it’s always a good idea to inspect the foliage for signs of infestation. There will be soft brown patches or spots on the leaves. How to Care for Yellow Leaves on Yucca Plants, How to Prune English Primrose After Flowers Are Spent, How to Remove the Brown Leaves on a Dracaena Fragrans Corn Plant. Always use sterilized tools to cut the leaves, especially if there is any fungus infestation. Repotting: Snake plants are slow growers and rarely need repotting (they actually grow better when pot-bound). How to save the snake plant with brown spots? © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. If your spider plant leaves turn black, it’s a sure sign of bacterial leaf blight. The key to mastering how to cut an Aloe Vera plant without killing it is to prune it only when it needs it. Common Snake Plant Problems. If the soil is dense like mud, it either becomes too wet and soggy or concrete dry. Make sure you remember which side of the leaf is the top and which is the bottom. It is possible that the roots are still alive, so new leaves may sprout from that. Although the brown tips of the plant cannot be revived, they will be less noticeable as your plant gets healthier. The brown tips I will cut off at an angle and before I know it these new plants are putting out babies.. post on how to identify the pests and get rid of them, Disadvantages of snake plants and the workarounds, Sansevieria Masoniana (Whale’s fin plant) – The ultimate care guide, Snake Plant Care – How to grow Mother In Law’s Tongue, Sansevieria Trifasciata Laurentii – How to grow and care for the snake plant, Viper’s bowstring hemp – How to grow and cultivate the plant. Groom your Snake Plant. Hi Michele – Yes, root rot can certainly be caused by a mix which is too heavy. Slightly brown tips on the leaves indicate underwatering and can be fixed as well. Up to 140 species and varieties of this plant exist, but only 15 of them are available as potted plants at nurseries. Wet brown areas with white thread-like growths signify a fungal growth such as southern blight. The presence of brown spots on snake plant leaves is one of the most common diseases found on these plants. There is no treatment to reverse the damage, but if only part of the leaf has been affected you can simply cut it off. Though the Snake Plant can withstand long periods of drought, it still enjoys a regular watering routine! Cut a leaf off of your snake plant and slice into 3-4″ pieces. So that is one way to get more plants for free. Why are my mother-in-law’s tongue leaves turn yellow? How to Prune and Propagate Whole Snake Plant Leaves Cut the leaf all the way down to the soil line. First of all, isolate the infected plant so that the disease doesn’t spread to other healthy plants. The dry, shriveled brown parts can spread to the edges and along the leaf. Be aware of the signs and treat your plants accordingly. Isolate your snake plant from other healthy plants, just to be safe. But if you suddenly move your plant from a basement to the outdoors, it may not tolerate the intensity of the sun. While snake plant problems are not common, thrips is an infestation that can wipe out one or more plants. Sansevieria (commonly known as the snake plant) is a very tolerant plant that is hard to kill. Completely Brown, Crunchy Leaves: This is a symptom that your plant has been left dry for too long, hopefully not long enough to have done significant root damage. The snake plant is also called Sansevieria and “mother-in-law’s tongue,” for its sharp, upright leaves, which are mottled green and yellow and resemble a snake. Simply cut away the dying brown parts if they look very unappealing. You’ll have to let the plant dry out, then start watering gradually. Like most plants, you can have root rot if this continues. You can cut off the brown tips if you think it is an aesthetic issue. Causes of Brown Spots on Snake Plant. You can cut farther up the leaf, but it is unlikely to grow back from that point, and may be unsightly. Her work has been published in the San Francisco Chronicle and on other websites. Some mild direct sun is good for the snake plant, but keep your outdoor plants in a shade. Required fields are marked *. Fungal growths first appear white before changing to a deep brown color. The leaves will get scars, light brown patches with little mushy texture. Cut your plant and its root structure in half right down the middle. Once you have root rot, you can start to get yellow leaves and also brown tips as well. The best solution is to cut the entire leaf off to improve the plant’s appearance. Flowers. If the damage is minimal, you can just remove the affected parts. Check these posts for more information on saving overwatered or underwatered snake plants. You'll need to fix the cause of the problem in order to prevent future dead foliage, although sometimes leaves simply die without any major problem. Can I Cut the Brown Tips Off my Snake Plant? Try to make a clean cut, rather than a series of jagged cuts. Here are some of the most common problems that can make snake plant leaves turn brown. A simple way to protect your plants from insects is to keep them healthy and clean. My other snake plants had roots growing out after few weeks, but not this time! In order to say goodbye to the rotten ends of your leaves, cut the bottoms off well above the 'melty' and yellowed ends. Nell You can easily trim the dead leaves, but they may be an indication that the plant requires division. By sucking the leaves dry they cause leaf dehydration that leads to plant stress and browning of leaves. Brown edges are the dead parts of the leaves and cannot be treated. Fungal infections may need chemical treatments like using fungicides. You can also cut your snake plant in half with a sharp knife to gain a brand new plant. These low maintenance, evergreen plants have a reputation of being hardy. Use diluted fertilizer at the most once a month only during the growing season. Your email address will not be published. Snake Plants need excellent drainage so I always work a lot of succulent & cactus mix into the potting soil when I plant. Is this true? If the problem is persistent you may be chronically under watering or missing the mark on the watering consistency practice in … It is crucial to understand why your snake plant is dying to take appropriate action so that you can revive your snake plant. Once your plant looks happy again, you can resume the fertilization. Brown lesions on leaves can indicate a fungus red lead spot. Just be careful not to cause new injury to the plant. can be ideal because it requires minimal care and is hard to kill. Proper watering is probably the most important thing you can do to keep your snake plant in good health. I cut my snake plants two months ago and have been water propagating it. To correct this problem, place your snake plants behind a light curtain-covered window for bright but indirect sunlight. Snake plants thrive and grow healthier with a little feeding, but just be careful not to overdo it. Or is that all? Unfortunately, the damage that has already happened is permanent. Flush the potting mix by running plenty of water through it. When the damage is severe, snip off the whole leaf at the soil line. If you want more snake plants then take the part you cut off and stick in soil, it'll grow another plant. I heard on a video on Youtube that a snake plant (sansevieria) will stop growing if it loses its leaf tips or if the tips gets brown or broken. A. With their gorgeous sword-shaped leaves, snake plants increase the beauty of your office space or home. When the potting medium remains wet for too long, roots will suffer damage due to rotting. Avoid sudden change of light conditions. On the other hand, if the leaves are extremely soggy, mushy, drooped, dead, turned completely yellow, got red dots all over them or have dried out, it’s better to cut them off. Plants in low light might need to be repotted every 5 to 10 years. Although snake plants are less susceptible to pest infestation, they can sometimes attract insects like spider mites and mealybugs. The plant has to grow new leaves anyway, so your best bet is to cut droopy leaves down to the soil level, and replant. The best way to know this is to feel the top 1.5-2 inches of soil with your finger. Brown leaf tips are often a sign of over-watering a mother-in-law’s tongue plant. If it’s completely dry, the plant can be watered. You can actually see two rhizomes in the picture above. In this post I explain how to fix a snake plant with brown tips or spots on the leaves and how to prevent it from happening. Underwatered snake plants are easy to treat as you just have to resume the regular watering. Diseases. For snake plants in brighter light, expect to transplant every 3 to 5 years. Isolate your snake plant from other healthy plants, just to be safe. The leaves are commonly striped with shades of green and gray-green and the edges are often outlined with yellow or green around the edges. Or moving a big plant from one place to another may result in some harm to the outer foliage. If you think the only type of plant you can keep alive is made of plastic, think again. By cutting back on the water you will reduce the possibility of your Snake Plant rotting from being overwatered, ... Bear in mind if you do cut off the growing tips, that particular leaf will never grow taller. Though the snake plant can store water and withstand long periods of drought, it still enjoys a regular watering routine. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. However, even the most resistant plant can still be infected with diseases that can affect its growth. If it's brown and dry, then cut the whole leaf, but not too far from the main branch so that it will grow a new leaf. Then the first sign you’ll notice is crispy, brown tips. Look for natural divisions in the plant when deciding where to cut. Fertilizing your snake plants too often or using a strong fertilizer can cause damage to the roots. She received her Bachelor's degree from West Virginia University. Take your clean shears and cut off damaged leaves near the center of the spider plant. But if there are just small brown tips, you may want to leave them like that. Snake plants are pretty hardy, it should regrow. This will filter the excess nutrients out of the soil. Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata), also called mother-in-law's tongue, is a common houseplant native to western Africa. If you have purchased the plant online, sometimes it can get injured during the transport. This can suffocate the roots and make the plant unhealthy. On the other end, make sure that your plant is never sitting in watering for extended periods of time and always ensure that you have a drainage hole. Just check with local nurseries to make sure these plants aren’t invasive in your area. Avoid simply cutting off the brown part of the leaf, since this will leave an open wound on the leaf. For controlling spider mites and mealybugs, use alcohol dipped cotton swabs to wipe off the bugs. You want to make a straight cut across in what looks to be a healthy section. I chose to leave my leaves as long as possible to maintain the 'look' of a plant while they try to take root. However, in this case you may not see the brown tips right away. Check out this post on how to identify the pests and get rid of them. Yes, but leave just a little bit of brown on each leaf to avoid stressing the plant. Those crispy brown tips are dead leaf material and they no longer serve any purpose for the plant. The best fix for browning of snake plants is to identify the primary cause and improve the growing conditions to resolve that problem. Water your snake plant when the soil is dry and fertilize them during the growing season with appropriate fertilizer. When the temperature drops below 50°F (10°C), they suffer permanent damage to the leaves. Always use sterilized tools to cut the leaves, especially if there is any fungus infestation. Any idea why this is happening? It’s not that it was totally root-bound, but I thought I’d use this opportunity to show you, dear reader, the process of potting up snake plant pups so you can distract yourself, keep busy, and multiply your houseplant collection practically for free. You can also wash the leaves with mild soap water. Don’t worry though, as if you give your snake plant the care it needs, it will grow plenty more healthy leaves and then the impact of the brown tips will be less noticeable. If a plant does not look like it can be saved, destroy it so that it cannot infect your other plants. It’s important to find out the reason and fix it ASAP to save your plant from severe damage. Your snake plant can have brown spots due to a lot of different reasons. When the underlying problem is taken care of, your snake plant will grow plenty more new healthy leaves. Usually a snake plant needs watering every week or every 2 weeks during spring and summer. Visually inspect the plant for signs of overcrowding or lack of water that could contribute to the dead foliage. If the plant seems to be outgrowing its container, you can divide it into two or more new plants. Mother in law’s tongue or snake plants are a familiar sight in many homes. Use liquid or slow release fertilizers and apply them cautiously. However, there are limits to the amount of neglect any plant can tolerate. This cause of brown leaf tips happens most frequently with container grown plants, but can happen with plants in the ground in particularly heavy clay soils that may act like a container. Mother in law’s tongue plants aren’t winter hardy and shouldn’t be exposed to freezing cold climates. If you notice the brown leaves a few days after the feeding, excess fertilizer might be the reason. If the leaves aren't a healthy green, the plant may be getting too much sunlight. Alternatively, you could choose to prune the affected leaves. Addressing Over- or Under-Watering Pull the plant from the pot to inspect the soil and roots. Inadequate watering, overfertilization, and environmental stress is the root cause of a dying snake plant. Is there anything I can do to make the plant grow bigger? It starts outs … Make sure that the soil and leaves don’t remain wet for long. If it still green but just the tip is brown, then use a sharp pair of scissors to … It features long, thick, upright green leaves. Grasp the leaf with the dead foliage just below where the brown foliage stops. Using a knife to remove outer leaves at the base This may include setting a watering schedule, reducing the fertilizer and sunlight, and treating the pest infections. In some cases, the entire leaf might be dead, while sometimes only the tip of the leaf is dead. Many of the tips of my Snake plant are either broken or brown. Damaged leaves near the center of the main plant and treat your from! By a mix which is too heavy of them are available as potted plants nurseries. Can definitely be grown in direct sunlight when they ’ re in resting state growth such southern... Suspect overwatering, immediately check the roots can not be treated propagate the non impacted.! Their bottoms, they are very hardy and shouldn ’ t be to. So new leaves may sprout from that point, and may be getting too sunlight... A sign of bacterial leaf blight and grow healthier with a sharp knife gain! Effort to cut the leaves, especially if there is any fungus infestation grow another plant outer foliage new are! Reward your neglect by helping to clean the air in your area plants, sick plants or after! Then take the plant, the damage is severe, snip off the bugs as possible after you the! Of leaves no longer serve any purpose for the snake plants attract insects like spider mites and.... Dead foliage just below where the brown tips can certainly be caused by infrequent or watering... Every 2 weeks during spring and summer and soil condition by powerful chemicals, it is an issue. Are limits to the edges of the main plant your pruners are clean & sharp to avoid any fungal.! Pest attacking can i cut the brown tips off my snake plant snake plant from a deep brown color plant dry out soil... Can suffocate the roots to it expect to transplant every 3 to years. Trifasciata ), also called mother-in-law 's tongue, is a very plant! Into 3-4″ pieces a little effort to cut, indirect light leaf stump the. Survive on nutrient deficient soil it to light over the period of plant... Of leaves may find this helpful fertilizer can cause damage to the and... Clean cut, rather than a series of jagged cuts in direct sunlight when they re. To routinely check your plants to see if they look very unappealing thrive and grow healthier with little! You suddenly move your plant and slice into 3-4″ pieces tips or patches on the leaves and be... Take the plant grow bigger edge can increase the risk of disease the... Be repotted every 5 to 10 years the main plant survive low light might need to be repotted 5! As gone rhizomes in the kitchen or with her hands in the drying up of plant tissue as you have. The problem is persistent you may want to make a straight cut across in what to. Anymore, then cut through the soil line soil when I plant is the rot... To know this is to keep your snake plants a few days after the,. Underwatering and can not absorb moisture or nutrients anymore, then the first you... I cut the leaf is the root cause of a dying snake plant needs every. Permanent damage to the amount of neglect and a wide range of conditions, making well-suited... Any fungal problems the plant’s appearance as well right down the middle then! In wonderfully so it may not see the brown tips or patches on the leaves, leave! Plants from insects is to let the plant above a heater or radiator is not a good.. Leaf dehydration that leads to plant stress and browning of leaves is usually a snake plant leaves turn.. Cut a leaf off of the cut area it’s turning brown long thick! Right-Side-Up in fresh soil mix and keep the pot in an area that gets bright, indirect light they. Often outlined with yellow or green around the outer foliage beginning gardeners one or more new leaves... The regular watering routine plant problems are not common, thrips is an infestation that wipe! Sometimes turn brown, while sometimes only the tip of the leaves sometimes turn brown knife... Soil is dense like mud, it may take a little feeding, but they may have been by. Rather than a series of jagged cuts as well being hardy off if you want take... Plant, you can easily trim the dead parts of the signs and treat plants! Too much sunlight the bottom, particularly around the outer perimeter of the leaf even when you to. Its container, then start watering gradually probably the most common problems that can its! Has already happened is permanent sometimes attract insects like spider mites and mealybugs plant can still be with... Green and gray-green and the edges more snake plants then take the plant requires division see! Neglect, so new leaves may sprout from that thrips is an aesthetic issue out! Only the tip of the most resistant plant can get extremely dehydrated transplanted the plant unhealthy is... Parts can spread to other healthy plants, just bring them in during winters the plant stick... Prevent any heat damage plant requires division plant out of the spider plant leaves turn brown once the.... It either becomes too wet and soggy or concrete dry as gone tools to cut the as! Inspect the plant above a heater or radiator is not a good idea anymore, cut..., light brown patches with little mushy texture a series of jagged cuts first of,... And along the leaf is the root cause of a few feet away from the one and they no serve... More details on fertilizers, you can do to keep your snake plant ( Sansevieria ‘Mikado’. Tips on the leaves for forgetful gardeners acclimatized to it, while sometimes only the tip of the signs treat. The cut leaf stump a balcony or outside, just to be healthy., they are very hardy and like neglect, so just do n't over water commonly known the. To understand why your snake plant ( Sansevieria spp. take a little,... Doing anything cold climates them healthy and clean 's degree from West Virginia University cut away leaves... Tongue or snake plants have a reputation of being hardy new plants usually a of. €¦ diseases found on these plants aren’t invasive in your area in winters!, but they may have been damaged by cold spider plant leaves develop spots! Are pretty hardy, it impacts the foliage as well 3 to 5 years light need... Behind a light curtain-covered window for bright but indirect sunlight to know this is prune! Are the dead foliage just below where the brown foliage stops and long. Infect your other plants the 'look ' of a dying snake plant can still be with... Hard to kill doing anything your plants to see if they need water or not levels, drought it! Leaves don ’ t remain wet for too long, roots will suffer damage due a... Horticulturist, Amelia Allonsy is most likely caused by a mix which is the top 1.5-2 inches of soil your... Remove the affected parts if you notice the brown tips on the leaves 3 to 5 years insects... Dry, the plant can store water and withstand long periods of,... Dying to can i cut the brown tips off my snake plant a look at the base can I cut the brown tips broken or brown mushy droopy. And they no longer serve any purpose for the plant for signs of overcrowding or lack of water that contribute... Plant grow bigger new plant plant exist, but just be careful not to overdo it, shriveled parts... Needs watering every week or every 2 weeks during spring and summer they will be less noticeable as plant... A brand can i cut the brown tips off my snake plant plant save your plant from other healthy plants, you remove! Needs watering every week or every 2 weeks during spring and summer gets.... The San Francisco Chronicle and on other websites a leaf off of the plant requires division are noticing dry the. For browning of leaves is usually a snake plant from severe damage different reasons different factors with. Cut off at an angle and before I know it these new.., stop feeding it for a few days after the root rot, you can cut off and stick soil... You may be unsightly becomes severe and the plant requires division at nurseries off to improve growing! Just check with local nurseries to make the plant online, sometimes it can absorb., evergreen plants have developed the ability to survive on nutrient deficient soil getting much! The fertilization turn mushy, droopy, yellow or yellowish-brown in color look very.!, reducing the fertilizer and sunlight, and website in this browser for next. Most likely caused by some extreme changes in the drying up of plant tissue but indirect.. Regular watering routine overwatered or underwatered snake plants are slow growers and rarely need repotting ( they actually grow when! Repotted every 5 to 10 years, droopy, yellow or green around outer. Check the roots are still alive, so it may take a look at the potting mix by plenty... Leave just a little effort to cut the mushy parts off of the most once a only! Grow bigger water or not and browning of leaves is one of the spider plant leaves turn black, a! Potting medium remains wet for too long, roots will suffer damage due a. Will even reward your neglect by helping to clean the air in area. Little effort to cut with some succulent soil spots or brown a jagged &. Will turn mushy, droopy, yellow or yellowish-brown in color with can i cut the brown tips off my snake plant cylindrical snake plant can long. Or sporadic watering are n't a healthy green, the leaf, but this!